Have you ever had a flash back to when you were younger, wild, carefree and really didn't have any responsibilities? I do often, but more so lately. I'm wondering if being married is sucking all of the life out of me and this is my wild inner self trying to escape? 100% kidding with that last comment but some things do bring me back to those days. I wasn't a bad teenager, but I was definitely outgoing and a little ridiculous at times. Growing up in a small town of approximately 2000 people was always a bore when we were young but thinking back now it was such an amazing experience. Most people assumed that since we weren't a large city we were all 'hicks', that was definitely the case most days, but let me tell you we had fun.
Sometimes random things bring me back to my teenage years, it could be a smell, a picture, a piece of clothing, a type of car, etc. and when it happens oh my. I can't describe the feeling that overcomes me. I almost feel as though I haven't changed a bit. I could go on and on listing all the things I have done with all of my wonderful, crazy friends but that would take an extremely long time so for now I'll give you some examples.
-Playing 'Cat and Mouse' (Hide and Seek in vehicles, if you spotted the other you flashed your brights) on our small town streets at 1a.m.
-Breaking into a chip stand in the middle of the night cooking food, cleaning up, paying (and tipping) and leaving.
-Stopping the car on the side of the road to get out and dance because our favorite song (or album!) came on the radio.
-'Borrowing' signs, lawn ornaments, construction tape from all over town and decorating random lawns to our liking.
-Road tours, my goodness did we tour. We would fill up the gas tanks, grab some snacks and drinks and drive all over God's Country for hours on end.
-Car rallies, organized treasure hunts in a car on back roads (sometimes with alcohol...obviously not the driver) sometimes with up to 40 car loads.
-Packing a cooler, grabbing some snacks and spending every Summer Sunday on the beach with these lovely ladies.
I love to reminisce and believe me when I tell you I am such a lucky girl to have been raised where I was and surrounded by those who live there. You will never come across a community so full of love and this is proven almost every time we are there. It's a place where people pay it forward because they care and they know that some day they may need the same help and it will most definitely be there. It's a community where more than just your immediate family has a hand in raising you and that means that everyone knows everything but in the end, I wouldn't have had it any other way.
I most definitely smile when I think of my younger years and my heart swells with all the love I have experienced, but then this little one grabs my hand and I know that my life is so complete now, more so than ever before.
August 9, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
Tears....YOu made me cry....But happy tears of coarse...Makes you realize what a great place are from.
I can't believe that you said that you weren't bad! HA! I love our little town. #1 place to grow up. Love you!
Post a Comment