As mentioned before, we are expecting our second child who is due May 6th, making me 17weeks, 5 days pregnant. At my 12 week appointment the doctor had a hard time hearing the heart beat, but it registered on the doppler and all was said to be well. I left not thinking anything of it seeing as the heart beat registered and knowing that sometimes it's difficult to hear it at that stage of the pregnancy. Last week I went for my 16 week appointment expecting to hear the heart beat and after a very long couple of minutes and two different dopplers my doctor looked at me and said so the next step is an ultrasound. I assumed that she was talking about the 18-20 week ultrasound but she meant that day or the next at the latest. We were able to schedule the appointment for the next day thankfully and I kept my cool about it all after my appointment when I went to work. I don't think it hit me until I got into bed that night and as I lay there it hit me like a ton of bricks, all of the possibilities of what the next day might hold flooded my mind and to be honest most of them were worst case scenarios. Needless to say, the next morning was very unproductive and full of tears and it seemed to take forever for the ultrasound appointment to finally arrive. The ultrasound technician quickly confirmed a strong heart beat of 147 and said that all looked well, so I was able to finally breath and thank God that our baby was okay. We weren't able to get any other details as per size or gender, as we will be going for our next appointment on December 10th to confirm all of that and more but thankfully our baby's heart is beating and beating strong.
According to the ultrasound technician, my placenta is anterior meaning between my stomach muscles and the baby, thus resulting in difficulties to hear the heart beat. Thankfully all is well and we can breath easy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
Hi. I found you on Aly and Molly's blog challenge, and I'm your newest follower. First off, congrats on the baby, and I'm glad things are going well. Secondly, I wanted to tell you that my madien name is Johnston. It's a good name.
Feel free to follow me back over at Kyndall's Smile
Wow Ash! That must have been soo nerve wracking! I can only imagine! Glad all is well and looking forward to hearing from you after your scheduled ultrasound.
ohh and btw, i didn't see a shoutout to your cousin(s) on yuor 12 days of christmas challenge when you mentioned family...just sayin...
What a relief is right! I remember that feeling of thinking the worst about something and then the relief of hearing that the baby was ok. Just goes to show how very precious that little being is and what a blessing a healthy baby is. I'm so glad everything was ok!
Oh man, I hadn't even realized I was holding my breath until I got to the part where the u/s tech found the heartbeat on the ultrasound! I've so been there, my friend...I know the feeling. With Cole and Bella, my placenta was also anterior so it was always hard to find their heartbeats and it caused major anxiety for me throughout the pregnancy!
So relieved to hear everything is going well for you!!
I read the first part of this post while holding my breath, wondering what in the world I was going to say if a heart beat had not been heard...phew...don't do that to us anymore!
So happy and relieved for you!
I'll be waiting to hear the news on December 10th! I found out Piper was a girl on December 9th!
I'm happy to hear that baby is doing fine!! :D
Knowing that your placenta is anterior it might be a while before you start feeling movement as well! Boo!
*whew* -- I started reading this in my Google Reader and got a little pang of panic for you - until I glanced at the post title. ;)
Glad everything worked out perfectly. Have a wonderful weekend.
Post a Comment