October 4, 2011

Healthy Recipes Link Up - Stuffed Zucchini


It's that time again, Pam from Our Love Nest is hosting her link up party for healthy recipes.  This week I am posting about a recipe we tried out last year after cleaning out our garden and finding several large zucchinis.  Ryan We did the big Fall clean up this weekend and again, we had some veggies to use up so we went pulled out this recipe from allrecipes.com.

STUFFED ZUCCHINI

Ingredients

  • 4 medium zucchini
  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 1 pound Italian sausage
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1/2 cup dried bread crumbs
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
  • 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed tomato soup
  • 1 cup water

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees (175 degrees C). Grease or spray a 13x9 inch baking dish.
  2. Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise. With a spoon, scoop out the seeds. Chop and reserve about 3/4 of the seeds for the stuffing. In a medium bowl, mix together the ground beef, sausage, chopped onion, bread crumbs, egg and the reserved zucchini seeds. Place the meat mixture equally into all of the zucchini halves; mixture should be piled up over the top. Place the filled zucchini halves into the prepared baking dish.
  3. In a bowl, stir together the crushed tomatoes, tomato soup, and water. Spoon the tomato mixture over the filled zucchini, liberally. Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 45 minutes. You may want to place foil or a cookie sheet underneath the baking dish because it tends to bubble over and splash.
* We also added some shredded cheese on top and then let bake until the cheese was golden brown.  Delicious!

*Photo and recipe from www.allrecipes.com.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks amazing! I have been on the lookout for some healthier recipes! I am bookmarking this one for sure! Thanks for sharing!

Jill said...

Mmmm...sounds & looks delicious! I'm not a huge zucchini fan, but I might have to try this one out!! Yum!!

Helene said...

I stuffed an extremely large zucchini from our garden about a month ago but your recipe sound way more delicious! And I'll bet I have several more huge zucchini out there (cuz I keep forgetting to check on the garden since I'm hoping it'll just die out on its own)...I'm gonna try this!!!

erica said...

This recipe sounds absolutely wonderful! I am definitely going t be giving this a try.

xo

Dancy said...

That sounds really good! I've been meaning to try the eggplant pizza recipe on pinterest but this might be a contender too.

Raven said...

OMG I almost ate the computer screen. That looks SOOOOOOOOOOOOO good. So printing this out and making it.

Lindsay @ Delighted Momma said...

Ohh I love zucchini! This sounds pretty amazing! I want to try this for sure!

Petchie said...

This stuffed zucchini looks amazing! I am getting married next year and started a recipe book, and this is definitely going in it! Thanks for recipe!

xoxo
Petchie
http://itsallofthelittlethings.blogspot.com/