September 13, 2011

Big Boy School

My little boy is all grown up!  Last Tuesday, September 6th, Cole went to his first day at his new school.  It's so crazy to think that my little guy is actually going to school, even though he has been in day care 4 days a week for the past 2.5 years.   He used to go to the town daycare and it was very much like a school in the structure aspect, so realistically this change shouldn't be too difficult.  It wasn't difficult for Cole in the least.  He was excited to go to the big brown school (as he calls it) and meet his teachers and play with all the new toys and since his first day he hasn't had any complaints at all.


Of course Cole did well, but as for me...I may have shed a few tears.  I think I hid them well so thankfully it didn't upset Cole, but I couldn't help myself.  It felt like leaving him all over again at his first day of daycare so long ago.  If only I could keep him at home with me forever, I'd be one happy momma.

As mentioned above, Cole loves school, therefore, I can't complain.  My only concerns now are what he manages to eat out of his lunch (not a whole lot due to being too busy chatting...must get that from his father) and if he is playing well with others and making friends.  Every night when I ask him about what he did that day he says nothing, and then I ask him who he played with and he says no one.  I know for a fact that he is making friends and having fun, but of course I can't help but worrying about him.  I'm assuming this is normal, but it just breaks my heart thinking of him keeping to himself all day long, although I can't see that being the case as he is a very outgoing and chatty boy.

How was your little one's first day of school?
How do you get your child to share his or her stories of the day?

4 comments:

Jill said...

Oh my gosh, I think sending kids off to school for the first time must be the hardest for a parent - If I ever have kids, I know it will be hard for me! And I was one of those kids who howled every day from pre-K to grade 2, so I'm sure I'll be paid back in that way...

Glad Cole is enjoying it. I really can't believe he's old enough to be going off to school already!!!!

Stacy said...

wow - school already? is he in full time? i was going to send Maddy to 4 year old but the english school is only 3 days a week and french is every day but only in the afternoons so both ways, I would still have to pay for my daycare in the city and find a daycare for school days in town...I said that if she was a shy kid and I was worried about her starting full time, everyday, then i would send her but she's a pretty outgoing kid! It will be nice too cuz when she starts kindergarten next september, I will be home with the new baby so I will be able to hover around and not be at work stressed out! I am sure Cole is having a blast and seriously, i am sure at that age, you did the same thing, I know I probably did - come home, parents ask how the day was and what you learned and the reply was always nothing!
Glad that he is liking it though

M.O.T.B said...

He is so incredibly handsome. I love his "cool" look. I will be posting the boys pics this week. Pre-K has been hard for me.

Dancy said...

So cute - I love when their backpacks are almost as big as they are!