September 16, 2011

A Side of Love

I love to cook, but sometimes I find it difficult to come up with a different side dish.  Something other than the everyday potatoes or rice and plain old veggies.  I have searched high and low and am pleased to report that I have come across some delicious recipes.


Baked Asparagus with Balsamic Butter Sauce Recipe

Ingredients
1 bunch fresh asparagus, trimmed
cooking spray
salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
Directions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
Arrange the asparagus on a baking sheet. Coat with cooking spray, and season with salt and pepper.
Bake asparagus 12 minutes in the preheated oven, or until tender.
While cooking asparagus, melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat until browned.
Remove from heat, and stir in soy sauce and balsamic vinegar.
Pour over the baked asparagus to serve.

Ingredients
1 spaghetti squash, cooked by your favorite method and separated into strands
1 tablespoon olive oil
3/4 cup pesto
4 ounces smoked or plain mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Directions
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat, add spaghetti squash.
Using a couple of forks to lift, mix in pesto.
Cook just long enough to heat through, mix in cheeses, heat until everything is well mixed and cheese is beginning to melt.
Serve immediately.
Baked Squash Casserole recipe 
1 onion, chopped
2/3 cup Cheddar Shredded Cheese
15 Ritz Crackers, crushed (about 1/2 cup)
1 egg, beaten
2 Tbsp. Miracle Whip Dressing (yuck!)
2 Tbsp. Mayo

Directions
HEAT oven to 350°F.
COOK squash in boiling water in covered saucepan 15 min. or until tender. Rinse under cold water; drain.
MIX squash and remaining ingredients; spoon into 8-inch square baking dish.
BAKE 1 hour or until heated through.
Ingredients
3 spray(s) olive oil cooking spray    
1 pound(s) butternut squash, peeled, seeded, long “neck” cut into sixteen 3/4-inch-thick sticks*    
1 tsp table salt, or to taste    
1/2 tsp chili powder, or to taste (optional)    

Directions
Preheat oven to 450ºF. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
Arrange squash fries on prepared baking sheet and sprinkle with salt and chili powder; liberally coat with cooking spray.
Roast, turning once, until desired crispness, about 14 to 18 minutes. Yields 4 fries per serving.


These are just a few of my go to recipes to change it up a bit and keep supper interesting.  Of course, substitutions can be made to make them healthier and still keep the same great taste!

Do you have any great side-dish recipes to share?

5 comments:

Lindsay said...

Mmmm...Yummy! Thanks for sharing!! Ryan and I really love "make ahead potatoes": http://www.kraftcanada.com/en/recipes/make-ahead-all-dressed-mashed-potatoes-126125.aspx

Bacon and Onion Asaparagus: http://www.kraftcanada.com/en/recipes/bacon-caramelized-onion-asparagus-112987.aspx

One pan chicken and sweet potatoes:
http://www.kraftcanada.com/en/recipes/one-pan-baked-chicken-sweet-127083.aspx

Homemade mac and cheese with meatloaf...yum!

And funeral potatoes: http://saltlakecity.about.com/od/lifestyles/a/FuneralPotatoes.htm

Also, alot of the time when Im in a crunch for a side Ill wrap up a couple of potatoes in tin foil and throw them in the oven. They cook in like 20 minutes and then after serve with sourcream and chives.

xo

Jill said...

Mmmm...thanks for the yummy ideas. I'm not a squash fan, but I might be tempted to try some of those out!!

Kelly said...

mmm..this sounds good..wonder if it's heart healthy??

I'm gonna try it out!

Dancy said...

I LOVE asparagus! Might have to try that one. ;)

Jen said...

I made the asparagus one tonight for super and it is awesome! Loved it! Thanx Ash!!!