September 13, 2010

Worlds Greatest BFF






FriendsYouLove



Surfer Wife has asked that we make her look good submit an entry about our best friend to this contest hosted by Friends You Love.  At first I totally ignored her because that's what you do with all of Surfer Wife's crazy requests (with the exception of Sarah Colonna - she is to die for) but then I got to thinking, you all need to learn about my BFF, she is a need-to-know type of girl.  For your life is just not complete until you have what I have.  I could go on and on and blah, blah, blah about Ryan and how he is my best friend but that would be lying (not judging anyone who chose their spouse for this), because truthfully, he's not.  I love him very much and he's my husband but seriously, not even a runner up for the BFF award.  Harsh?  Maybe.


The only tough part about writing this post is where to begin?  We've been through so much so I guess I'll start at the beginning.  We met when we were both in grade 4 and figure skating and pretty much hit it off right away.  We started hanging out often outside of school (different elementary schools) and would do the usual sleep-over girly get togethers.  We went to the same high school and that's where it started.  Her parents trusted me from the ripe old age of 13 to drive their truck which was a blast to us.  We spent all of our time at her house so that we could tour the back roads of Quyon and smoke cigarettes like we were Lindsay Lohan with an anklet.


Moving on...grade 9ish comes and we have a mutual friend with whom we are both close.  Bitch pulled some fast ones and over night we grew to dislike each other.  She said, she said nonsense.  We remained civil but really weren't super close anymore.


During college I moved in with said bitch and quickly realized that she was playing Erin and I for fools.  I called my brother and he hauled me and my furniture out of there all fast-ass like.  After that ridiculousness I stopped talking to bitch and Erin and I resumed our friendship as normal.  We became best of friends again and lived happily ever after.  The end.

Haaaaaaaa, kidding...not the end at all...that was just the boring version from growing up.  Now you need to know what makes this girl the bestest friend ever...sit back and get comfy because it's all coming at you.  And for the record - no you cannot have her.

Erin loves to love...
She will cuddle up behind me when sleeping over and ask if she can rub her feet on me.  Believe me, I have tried to say no but it is much easier just to give in and turn your back to her.  She will rub her feet together in a circular motion near or on your feet.  Strange?  Very.  But she's a cuddler.  Also on the sleeping subject, she will ask you to stop breathing so she can fall asleep first. (I never said she wasn't weird)
No one parties like she does...
Erin and I love shooters, almost as much as we love each other.  There is one evening that stands out in my mind and hers when we went out to a bar together just for a quiet night.  We wound up sitting right at the bar and decided to do a shot.  Well, one turned into at least 15 each, no word of a lie, and when we turned around to leave the bar we had a group of men watching us in awe.  The bartender said that he has never seen anyone, male or female, take shots like that.  We ventured to Erin's place in a cab and she made Kraft Dinner while I took out my contacts.  Apparently I passed out because when I woke up she was sleeping on a giant teddy bear naked on the tile kitchen floor with a pot of half eaten KD beside her, wooden spoon and all.

She loves my family...
My parents, my sisters and brother, my nephews, but most importantly, she loves my husband and my son and treats them as if they are her own family.  She snuggles Cole like there is no tomorrow and tears come to her eyes when he asks for her at 2:30 am or when he holds her hand unsuspectingly.

Ryan and Erin
Erin and Cole

She has a heart of gold...
All she wants is for everyone to be happy and have a good time.  If someone is upset it destroys her.  She cries easily and is emotional but in such a compassionate way that you know that she is genuine.  She will buy random little gifts, when I complained about being chubby after having Cole she went and bought me some t-shirts and a hoody that she knew I liked.  The little things matter to her and make her happier than anything.


She is one of the strongest people I know...
I can't even stress how strong she is.  She has an amazing head on her shoulders and strength like no other.  A year and a half ago Erin suddenly lost her father and it tore her up and still does to this day.  This man is the reason she is who she is.  She is exactly like him in so many ways and although it's not easy, he is the strength in her for this I am sure. 

This is a tribute to her father at our wedding with his best friends

She has wiped away my tears and told me that everything will be okay when things seem terrible. She has held my hair and rubbed my back (drinking problem? maybe) and even physically made me sick when I needed it (too much info. I know).  I know it's easy for everyone to say that their best friend is the worlds greatest, but I promise, if you met mine you would try to steal her.  Hell some have even tried!  She really is the greatest and the only way I can prove it is below...her maid of honor speech from our wedding.  Some of it might not make sense to you but I promise that those are the best parts of us...the craziness, the nights out or in, just being us, the worlds best friends.
Good evening everyone!
I’d like to first warn everyone that this is not a short speech, I talk really fast, way too much and I cry when I’m nervous, so please by all means grab a couple drinks!

For those of you who may not know me I am Erin and I am very happy to be standing here today as Ashley and Ryan’s friend and maid of honour. I would like everyone to join me in commending the groomsmen & bridesmaids for their stellar performance today. You did an amazing job and I know that Ashley and Ryan truly appreciate all your support. Ashley, I know that everyone will agree with me when I tell you that you look absolutely breath taking. I knew when you tried that dress on exactly how gorgeous you would look in it today. I’m not a little bit surprised, you’re beautiful. Ryan, I have to tell you that originally when I had written my speech I had put that you look handsome and very nice today in your tux but now that I see you, man…you look super smoking hot! Ash you’re one lucky lady!

It’s funny because I stand here today and look out to how many people are here sharing Ryan and Ashley’s wedding day I see how awesome everything looks and I think back to Ash and I as we grew up together. I’ve known Ashley for probably about 15 years now and never once did we talk about each other’s weddings. We never had anything mapped out and we defiantly never so much as talked about what our wedding days would be like. It’s perfect Ash and I truly believe we couldn’t have dreamt of this day and how perfect it would be. We were always too busy giving our parents a hard time…I do have to say that Laurel got the brunt of most of our jokes and harassment… she obviously had the best sense of humor… although the fatality of poor cougar hasn’t really sat well with us. We miss her every day Laurel.

I could stand up here for the next week telling stories about Ash and the girls, if it had to do with things we shouldn’t have been doing or regretted doing the next day! Our nights out or our nights in have never ever been boring. There have been nights consisting of the two of us sitting at a bar with a crowd of people watching us down shots better than most men… we’re not overly proud of this but what can I say we’re Shawville girls and our drinking skills sometimes impress and together we’re maniacs! There were also nights when we were young and I’d make Ashley wait till I fell asleep before she did… She would always fall asleep before me I’d nudge her to wake her up whining that I could hear her breathing… of course obviously the nicest and not annoyed way possible she’d tell me to quit being a baby and that she obviously couldn’t stop because needed to breathe! This was our nightly routine and I kid you not this happen every time I stayed at Bob and Laurel’s. I don’t think I need to tell specific stories of Ashley and I for everyone to know that we’re best friends or that we’ll be friends forever… I’ve decided that if I did tell stories about Ashley and her friends all people would be left with is thoughts of how wild we are, and honestly just how bad our parents really got it. I’m kidding, we were all perfect teenagers.

Whether you’re her sister, her friend, her now husband, her father, or her mother you know that Ashley is one of the most caring and generous people ever… she once gave the boots off her feet in a snow storm to a homeless man on Rideau street…. ha ha just kidding she’s not that generous. I was going to say she is patient and kind thinking about how amazing she is with Cole and Ryan but then I pictured her white knuckling her steering wheel weaving in and out of traffic screaming and yelling at everyone in front of her… all the while flipping the bird every so often at the helpless other drivers on the road…. who are simply trying to get out of her way… no Cole was not in the vehicle…. I guess she feels it’s okay to drive like this with her friends in the car… we’re no big deal really!

Regardless of her reckless driving Ashley is also a much different person than I remember growing up…. She did a complete 180 when she found out she was pregnant with Cole and is definitely a patient and incredible mother and is so so in love with Cole. I will add though that the animal has never fully escaped… we have some pretty wild stories since Cole… most recently Ash’s Bachelorette… without going into complete details we ended up hoteless at the end of the night! Ashley’s last night as a bachelorette and we made sure we went out with a bang…

I’ve only known Ryan for the past two years or so and still in the short amount of time I’ve learnt a lot about him and once almost too much. Thank god I was too afraid to open that shower curtain… there would have been nothing left to the imagination after that… eh Rye??? You complement Ashley perfectly and you’ve fit into our group of friends so well, of course we’re all wonderful people, but I’m sure everyone will agree when I say from day one that it has felt for all of us like we’ve known you for years. You like to fish, and hunt and sometimes rarely though you’ll even join us for a drink. I do seem to recall a couple stories (which I was not a direct witness to so can’t actually say if their true or not) something to do with the accomplice in the removal mails boxes and maybe even some for sale signs??... What I do know though is that you are the owner of one of the most popular beer bongs in Carleton Place… and now because of Alex and Kristen you have two more to add to your collection. In all seriousness, thank you Ryan, thank you for making Ashley happy, for helping make Cole… cutest little guy ever, and for being so easy to get along with. We love you and from all of Ash’s friends we welcome you with open arms and are so glad to have met you, Ash has made a great choice…

You are two of the luckiest people in the world, I realize that sounds like a complete cliché but besides all of your closest friends and family here today, celebrating your perfect love match… the best part is you have a sweet honeymoon booked and you’re leaving on Monday!

Please everyone join me and raise your glasses for a toast to the bride and groom.
Ashley and Ryan, always remember today. Always remember how you feel right now. Always love the simple things and never forget the little things. Let your feelings of today guide you through a long, healthy happy life together. Best wishes to the very special couple on your very special day. Here’s to Ashley and Ryan.


Love you Ern. xo

8 comments:

meeganjae said...

She is a pretty special BFF. I don`t want to steal her, but am so glad to be a part of your life, so that I get to share in the joy that she brings to you and all of us.
Love your sister.
xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

The one thing you left out is just how amazing you are. My speech says it all and I love you. It's very rare to have such an amazing friend. Thank you Ash, that post is so speacial to me. You're the most amazing person I know.

Thanks M, I love you too a lot!!!! xoxox

Whit said...

What an awesome bff!!! You are both very lucky to have one another!

Keep having fun!

Whit

KristinFilut said...

How awesome! Everyone needs a friend like her!

Shell said...

what a great speech!

SurferWife said...

First of all, I need to offer up an apology about my readers not participating over here. I was wrong and you are rad.

Second of all, what do you mean ignore my crazy requests? My requests are NOT crazy and I will cut you if you ignore.

Thirdly, I will tell my bestie Sarah C. if you are mean to me.

Fourthly, (is that a word?) I love this post. You and your bestie are awesome. I hope you don't call her crazy and ignore her requests to look good.

Alicia said...

ok that part about the teddy bear and kraft dinner had me rolling! she sounds like a riot!! that's so awesome you have such a fun bestie :)

Tammy said...

What an awesome friend. It gave me chills reading your story. Great post. New follower from FYL blog...:)